Information about the second Wellcome Trust Book Prize in 2010, including the winner, shortlist and who was on the judging panel.
Ten years in the making, 'The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks' - a beautiful but harrowing work of non-fiction by Rebecca Skloot - has won the second Wellcome Trust Book Prize.
Taking readers on a journey of scientific discovery, the book tells the story of a poor Southern tobacco farmer whose cancer cells, taken without her knowledge, became one of the most important tools in medicine.
Find out more about the six shortlisted books.
• 'So Much for That' by Lionel Shriver
• 'Grace Williams Says it Loud' by Emma Henderson
• 'Medic: Saving lives - from Dunkirk to Afghanistan' by John Nichol and Tony Rennell
• 'The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks' by Rebecca Skloot
• 'Teach Us to Sit Still' by Tim Parks
• 'Angel of Death: The Story of Smallpox' by Gareth Williams